Protect your assets from water and weather with rubber paint
Liquid rubber paint has been on the market for years now, but recent technological advances have both improved and expanded the range of rubber coatings available. While traditionally liquid rubber has been applied as a waterproof roofing solution, there are now products which allow the excellent waterproofing properties of rubber paint to be applied to a much broader range of substrates such as wooden decking.
Rubber coating is heat, chemical, weather, and impact resistant, as well as being flexible. In this article we will outline the benefits and applications of liquid rubber paint products, as well as where to find them in the UAE.
Top 6 advantages of liquid rubber coating
The reason for the continued success of liquid rubber paint is simple: in terms of waterproofing it outperforms the alternatives. This is why one of liquid rubber’s most important applications is flat roofing. The qualities that make liquid rubber coating the choice for waterproofing include:
Non-permeable– Rubber paints create an impermeable barrier between the substrate and the environment. They can withstand ponding water for flat roofs, or be used in overspill containment. They are waterproof, vapour tight, air and gas barriers.
- Flexible – Liquid rubber has an elongation capability of up to 900%. It can flex and stretch with a substrate through heating and cooling from -40°C to 160°C without damaging, unlike most other coatings. It is also flexible regarding application method: roller, brush, trowel and spray are all possible.
- Weather and chemical resistant – Rubber is chemically resistant to most corrosive chemicals, acids, alkalis, and solvents, both liquids and gases. Liquid rubber can protect a substrate from chemicals in tanks, as well as corrosive environments like factories or plants. The heat resistance, waterproofing, salt resistance, and UV stability mean liquid rubber is extremely weather-proof.
- Environmentally friendly – Water based and VOC free, these products will not harm you or the nature.
- Well-adhering – Liquid rubber can be applied to concrete, stone, metal, bitumen, EPDM, wood, PVC, metals, and zinc. It adheres fully to the substrate whatever the material, sealing the substrate and keeping corrosive elements away.
- UV stable – The rubber paint coating remains flexible for longer and does not chalk, embrittle, or lose strength as a result of exposure to UV radiation.
Complete liquid rubber paint application in 3 steps
One of the great benefits of liquid rubber paint is the ease of application. There are only three basic steps to a liquid rubber application. Whether spray, brush, trowel, or roller, the coating will adhere to almost every surface – concrete, stone, bitumen, EPDM, wood, PVC, metals, foam, tile, and zinc.
Step 1: Prepare
Note: Poor surface preparation may result in failure of the coating system; adhesion is affected leading to preventing optimal performance.
A properly prepared substrate is paramount to the optimal application and performance of a coating. In the case of liquid rubber the substrate needs to be clean, dry, free from grease, dust, and other particles. Power washing the area is recommended. Cracks in the surface should be repaired beforehand for the best waterproofing result.
Step 2: Apply
Note: Always study the manufacturer’s instructions on application and obey them.
Liquid rubber should not be applied in temperatures below 5°C, nor when rain is expected within 24 hours, so make sure to check the weather. The rubber paint can be applied with a brush, trowel, roller, or spray, and is cold applied. The minimum layer thickness for a waterproof membrane is 2 mm. When painting, the average coverage is 1 L per m2, yielding a 1 mm thickness. The coating is not applied in one thick coat but rather built up through layering.
Step 3: Cure
Note: Stick with the given curing times; too early traffic on the coated area may result in coating failure and have a great financial impact.
Once the liquid rubber is applied, it needs to cure. Though it is touch dry in only a few hours, it will take 48 to 72 hours for the rubber coating to be fully cured and bonded to the substrate. After this point usual traffic and usage may resume.
Find liquid rubber companies in UAE
Waterproof rubber paint is available from suppliers across the Emirates, for all projects big and small. There are contractors up and down the country who provide liquid rubber installation services for roofing, waterproofing, and any other project you may have. If you wish to buy rubber paint, or would like to be connected with one of our partners, get in touch! Our experts are happy to help, just make use of our free quote service to find the right coating solution or waterproofing services UAE for your project.
|Rubber paint product||Price (RRP)||Substrates|
|Plasti Dip® Aerosol Spray||dh75.00||Wood, metal, glass, rope, plastic, rubber, concrete, tools, etc.|
|Leak Seal Flexible Rubber Coating||dh69.00||Gutters, roofs, flashing, ductwork, PVC, masonry, concrete and more|
|FlexiDip Removable Rubber Coating||dh55.00||Glass, metal, plastic and more|
Waterproof rubber paint application on flat roof
Because of the unique combination of versatility, flexibility, and high performance, there are many areas which can benefit from liquid rubber, including roofing, concrete sealing (and protecting steel reinforcement), environmental protection barriers, and waterproofing ponds, planters and basements.
The benefit of having a waterproof rubber paint installed is that there is limited down time, limited work hours, and so limited extra costs. The basic application process for waterproofing a flat roof might look as follows:
- Power wash the area to be coated and, once dry, clean the area of all debris and particulates.
- If there are cracks greater than 3 mm use a joint filler or mastic to fill them in.
- At an expected coverage of 1 L to 1 m2, pour the desired amount of liquid rubber onto the roof, and spread across the area using a roller or brush. Once the roof is coated evenly, leave to dry.
- Once the first layer is touch dry, repeat the procedure for the second coat.
- Leave for 48 hours to cure fully.