Protect metal substrates and combat corrosion with FBE coating
Corrosion is global problem, eating away at trillions of dollars every year – up to 3/4% of gross national product in developed countries. Metal is the backbone of so many industries, from oil and gas to construction, and it is of vital importance that it maintains its strength and effectiveness. FBE coating (fusion bonded epoxy, fusion bonded epoxy powder coating) is a one-part, thermosetting powder coating that provides optimum corrosion protection in all environments – petrochemicals, gases, corrosive substances, saltwater, freshwater, wastewater, and more meet their match in FBE coating.
In this article we outline the many superior protective properties of fusion bonded epoxy coating and how the coating is used across industry. We also list the local specialists in FBE coating application and manufacture in the United Arab Emirates.
A look at the FBE coating procedure
As with any coating application, the preparation of the substrate is paramount for a successful and effective coating application. FBE coating is a type of powder coating, and so heat is required to cause the dry powder to melt and flow over the substrate. The main steps of the FBE coating process are outlined below.
- Surface preparation – To ensure the right surface profile for the coating, the substrate needs to be entirely free from oil and grease. It goes through a series of pre-treatment steps including abrasive blasting to near white metal, grinding of surface defects, and other cleaning and wash steps.
- Coating preparation – The powder coating process requires heat in order to form a smooth and seamless film. In FBE coating this heat is provided by the part being coated – it is preheated to the desired temperature before the coating is applied.
- Coating application and curing – Powder is applied through the fluidised bed method or through a spray gun application. The dry powder hits the heated part and melts and flows, coating the part and curing through a process of cross-linking.
The advantages of fusion bonded epoxy coating
To prevent corrosion, a metal needs to be protected from water, chemicals, the environment, and the action of other corrosive influences. An effective coating solution has the right collection of qualities to provide sustained protection. Fusion bonded epoxy is one such coating solution. The benefits of FBE coating include:
- Excellent adhesion to the substrate, providing long lasting corrosion protection
- Chemical and water resistance mean FBE coating can be used in a variety of environments – including soil and sour crude
- Abrasion and impact resistance protects the film from handling and stress damage
- It does not shield cathodic protection, allowing protection to continue even in the case of a coating failure – a ‘fail safe’ coating
- Leads to flow improvement when applied to pipe interiors, reducing friction and buildup when compared to concrete or uncoated pipe
FBE coating specification, standards and uses
FBE coating is specified in a range of industries and applications, especially in the oil, gas, and water pipeline industries. It is used on gas transmission pipelines, for the internal lining of desalination plants, to protect tanks, and more. Worldwide there are tens of thousands of kilometres of pipelines use FBE coating, as do uncounted valves, pumps, water fittings, cooling pipework, and tubing systems, not to mention all the fusion bonded epoxy coated rebar used in construction. The industry standards relating to FBE coating include:
- International Standard for Buried or Submerged Pipelines (ISO 21809-2&3)
- NACE Standard Recommended Practice, Application, Performance, and Quality Control of Plant-Applied, Fusion Bonded Epoxy External Pipe Coating (NACE RP0394)
- The Standard Specification for Epoxy-Coated Steel Reinforcing Bars (ASTM A775 / A775M – 17)
- NACE Standard Recommended Practice Epoxy-Coated Steel Reinforcing Bars (NACE RP0395)
- The Standard Specification For Fusion bonded Epoxy-Coated Pipe Piles (ASTM A 972//A 972M)
- Standard for Drinking Water System Components, for use with potable water (NSF/ANSI Standard 61)
Where to find specialists in FBE coating in the UAE
The top producers and manufacturers of fusion bonded epoxy coating in the world are AkzoNobel, Jotun, Valspar, BASF, Axalta, 3M, and Sherwin-Williams. Below we have compiled a sample list of fusion bonded epoxy coating applicators and specialists operating in United Arab Emirates .
If your project needs FBE coating and you are looking for expertise, we are here to help. In collaboration with our coating partners, we provide professional advice for your project and connect you with the right product and professional for the job. Simply use the “Request a Quote” button beneath this article and tell us the details of your project so we can get started.
|FBE Coating Specialist||Location||Services Offered|
|Bildco – Abu Dhabi Company for Building Materials||Abu Dhabi||Applicators of fusion bonded epoxy coating for rebar|
|DELMA INDUSTRIAL COATING EST.||Plot # 205, Mussafah (M-33), Mussafah, Abu Dhabi||Internal and external FBE coating for pipes in the industrial, construction, oil field, electrical and agricultural sectors|
|NPCC||P.O. Box 2058, Mussafah, Abu Dhabi, UAE||FBE coating for pipes ranging from 3″ to 48″ in outer diameter|
|Petros Corp. FZC||Office No.I1-237-D, Ajman Free Zone, Ajman||Internal and external coating for pipes as well as for their prefabricated pipe fittings, valves and manifolds.|
|ProCoat Steel Solutions L.L.C||Warehouse #2, Al Quoz Ind. Fourth, Al Quoz, Dubai||FBE coating specialists, Jotun and Interpon approved applicators|